Embedded Security Boot Camp
Course Length: 4 Days
Barr Group's Embedded Security Boot Camp® is a 4-day immersion into the unique challenges of building security into embedded devices. Through lectures and hands-on exercises, this intense, fun, and information-rich program will lead engineers through the steps of architecting and implementing secure embedded systems applications, including preventing electronics, firmware, and network attacks using only the processing power and memory of resource-constrained embedded devices. This course is best suited for experienced embedded systems design engineers. All exercises are done using an ST Microelectronics target development board.
Topics covered in this course include:
- How to perform threat modeling and assessment
- A set of software development processes to detect and prevent security bugs
- How to secure data at rest with encryption and authentication
- How to secure data in motion with a secure protocol and how to manage keys securely
- Best practice mechanical and electrical security design techniques
- Considerations for secure bootloaders and secure the firmware update
Attendees will receive a fully equipped development board kit with the hardware and resources necessary to develop a secure embedded system.
- STMicroelectronics ARM Cortex-M4 STM32F417IG Processor with Crypto Accelerator (external link)
- An electronic copy of all lecture slides
- An electronic Exercise Manual with instructions for all programming exercises,
- A USB thumb drive containing:
- Source code starting points for the exercises
- An electronic copy of the book Programming Embedded Systems with C and GNU Development Tools (link is external) by Michael Barr and Anthony Massa
- An electronic copy of the book Embedded C Coding Standard by Michael Barr
- An electronic copy of the book Embedded Systems Dictionary (link is external) by Jack Ganssle and Michael Barr
- Datasheets and User's Manuals for all of the hardware and tools
- A certificate of course completion
Attendees should be comfortable with writing code that interfaces with microcontroller hardware.
This course will be open to the public in the following dates and locations:
|Date(s)||Location||Regular Price||Early Registration*|
|March 20-23||Palo Alto, California||$2,999||$2,499||Register|
*Early Registration Ends March 6, 2017.
Got a Group? Groups of 3 or more are eligible for a 20% discount. For large groups, contact us for details on setting up an on-site course.
To be notified of future public training dates and locations, sign up for our mailing list.
Need an On-Site Course?
Interested in this course? The following Barr Group training courses may also be of interest:
- Embedded Software Boot Camp
- Device Driver Development for Embedded Linux
- Best Practices for Designing Safe and Secure Embedded Systems
All Barr Group Training Public and On-site courses may not be videotaped, photographed, or otherwise recorded without consent from Barr Group's executive team.