- How To
- About Us
- Contact Us
Firmware Defect Prevention for Safety-Critical Devices
A Barr Group One-Day Course
Consult our embedded software training calendar for location details and pricing.
This one-day course focuses on the most important proactive implementation techniques that reduce firmware defects for safety-critical devices. Such firmware defects can result in severe – even deadly – consequences. Specifically, this course will discuss three of the most important and undervalued safety-critical firmware implementation techniques: adopting an effective coding standard, conducting meaningful code inspections, and using static analysis properly.
Many teams rely too heavily on important, but more costly, downstream approaches, such as testing/validation or even end-user feedback, to discover and remove defects. As a result, front-end activities rarely are fully embraced and often are not practiced successfully. All are necessary, together forming a type of "firmware safety net" for your embedded device. This course will teach you best practices for coding standards, code inspections, and static analysis, including coverage of the latest version of the MISRA C Coding Guidelines. It will also provide in-depth examples of defects that are trapped and removed by these activities.
Join us to learn how to improve your own firmware safety net, and start finding and removing defects early in your development cycle, avoiding costly rework.
- Safety Critical Software
- Case Studies
- Coding Standards
- Benefits and Justification
- Embedded-Specific Coding Rules
- Integrating into your process
- MISRA C and C++
- Code Inspections
- Quality Metrics
- Integrating into the Process
- Best Practices and Recommendations
- Static Analysis
- Contrasted with Compilers & Dynamic Analysis
- Effective Usage
- Enforcing Coding Standards
- Wrap up
- Lessons learned
- Putting it all together
- Key takeaways
What You Get
At the Firmware Defect Prevention for Safety-Critical Devices course, you will receive:
- Printed copy of Barr Group’s “Embedded C Coding Standard”
- USB Thumb Drive containing:
- PDF of Barr Group’s “Embedded C Coding Standard”
- An evaluation version of Gimpel Software’s "PC-lint for C”
- PDF of course materials
- PDFs of other interesting articles and reference documents
- Lunch will be provided to all students
Engineering teams (development engineers and engineering managers) that are developing embedded software which must be safe and reliable.