Embedded Software Training in a Box
Embedded Software Training in a Box
This Embedded Software Training in a Box™ kit helps you develop and strengthen your embedded software development skills in the comfort of your home or office and includes hands-on firmware development projects with and without an RTOS on real-world microcontroller hardware.
Barr Group's Embedded Software Boot Camp® workshops have been popular for several years with firmware engineers from around the world. Barr Group now offers the valuable knowledge and skills taught at the in-person courses in this cost-effective home/office study package. We've packaged our embedded software training in a box for firmware engineers who want to obtain the knowledge and skills taught in-person, but can't afford either the higher fee or taking a week off from work and family and additional transportation and hotel costs.
You will start improving your skills immediately by reading the Embedded Software Field Manual book, which is available only in this kit and at the in-person events. As you continue through the program, you will gain additional experience through a series of eleven programming exercises, including one large capstone project, on the included development board. Along the way you'll also have the opportunity to dig deeper on any topic by reading one of the four e-books or dozens of PDF technical articles we provide.
What's Inside the Box
Your Embedded Software Training in a Box includes:
- A development board with the following hardware features:
- 32-bit Renesas RX microcontroller (at 96 MHz)
- Graphics LCD (96 x 64)
- 10/100 Ethernet port
- USB Controller (host/device/OTG)
- CAN interface
- Temperature sensor
- 3-axis accelerometer
- A/D-readable potentiometer
- PWM-drivable piezo speaker
- MicroSD memory card slot
- RS232 serial port connector
- Software-controllable LEDs (qty. 12)
- Push buttons to simulate external events (3)
- I2C and SPI with debug via Beagle connector
- On-board microphone, speaker, and audio out
- Electronics breadboard/prototyping area
- All necessary cables for the development board,
- On-board J-Link RX debug probe,
- IAR Embedded Workbench integrated C/C++ compiler-debugger (KickStart Edition),
- A printed copy of Embedded Software Field Manual book,
- A printed Exercise Manual with instructions for eight programming exercises and one large SCUBA Dive Computer capstone project plus additional project ideas,
- A 1GB USB thumb drive containing:
- Source code starting points for the exercises,
- Source code solutions for all exercises,
- An electronic copy of the book Programming Embedded Systems with C and GNU Development Tools by Michael Barr and Anthony Massa,
- An electronic copy of the book Embedded C Coding Standard by Michael Barr,
- An electronic copy of the book Embedded Systems Dictionary by Jack Ganssle and Michael Barr,
- An electronic copy of the book MicroC/OS-III: The Real-Time Kernel, Renesas RX62N Edition by Jean Labrosse,
- Datasheets and User's Manuals for all of the hardware and tools,
- Dozens of articles for in-depth "further reading" on advanced topics, and
- A backup electronic copy of the Embedded Software Field Manual.
- A CD-ROM containing additional compilers (GNU and Renesas HEW) and example software for the board.
What You'll Learn
As you follow this training program, you will learn:
- How to write portable device drivers and interrupt handlers in C,
- How to decide if an RTOS will benefit your application,
- How to architect software to ensure all deadlines are met (with or without an RTOS),
- More than 50 practical tips for reducing firmware bugs, and
- How to find, fix, and prevent each of the top 10 firmware bugs.
Typical buyers have from 0 to 15 years of embedded software experience and an electrical engineering, computer science, computer engineering or similar degree. Some have been working in firmware-related areas but are trying to make the switch into full-time embedded software development; others want to deepen their knowledge and strengthen their skills in their chosen career. These well-tested training materials and exercises provide easy-to-follow explanations of key topics even as they dive deep to show the most current and advanced best practices. As a whole the contents are accessible and educational to all levels, as you are able to dive as deep as you want in parts and skim along the surface of the rest.
How to Buy
The price of the Embedded Software Training in a Box represents a substantial savings over the cost of an in-person Embedded Software Boot Camp. If, within one month of receiving your kit, you change your mind and register for an upcoming in-person Embedded Software Boot Camp we'll refund the price of your kit purchase in full if you simply bring the contents of the box with you to the in-person event.
To purchase with a credit card, simply click on the "Add to Cart" button under the "box&boots" image above. We can ship anywhere in the world within 10 business days.*
* We ship internationally by U.S. Priority Mail, which aims to reach anywhere in the world within 7 days. However, we can't control customs delays going into your country, which may affect your specific shipping times.