- How To
Embedded Software Training in a Box
Barr Group's Embedded Software Boot Camp ® workshops have been popular for several years with embedded software developers around the world. This Embedded Software Training in a Box ™ now offers the valuable knowledge and skills taught at the in-person courses in this cost-effective home/office study package. We've packaged our embedded software training in a box for firmware engineers who want to obtain the knowledge and skills taught at our in-person live public courses, but can't afford either the higher fee or taking a week off from work and family and additional transportation and hotel costs.
You will start improving your skills immediately by reading the include Embedded Software Field Manual book, which is available only in this kit and at the in-person events. As you continue through the program, you will gain additional experience through a series of eight programming exercises plus one large capstone project on the included development board. Along the way you'll also have the opportunity to dig deeper on any topic by reading one of the four e-books or dozens of PDF technical articles we provide.
What's Inside the Box
Your Embedded Software Training in a Box includes:
- A development board with the following hardware features:
- 32-bit Renesas RX microcontroller (at 96 MHz)
Clicking "Buy Now" will take you to PayPal to place your order.
- Graphics LCD (96 x 64)
- 10/100 Ethernet port
- USB Controller (host/device/OTG)
- CAN interface
- Temperature sensor
- 3-axis accelerometer
- A/D-readable potentiometer
- PWM-drivable piezo speaker
- MicroSD memory card slot
- RS232 serial port connector
- Software-controllable LEDs (qty. 12)
- Push buttons to simulate external events (3)
- I2C and SPI with debug via Beagle connector
- On-board microphone, speaker, and audio out
- Electronics breadboard/prototyping area
- 32-bit Renesas RX microcontroller (at 96 MHz)
- All necessary cables for the development board,
- On-board J-Link RX debug probe,
- IAR Embedded Workbench integrated C/C++ compiler-debugger (KickStart Edition),
- A printed copy of the Embedded Software Field Manual book,
- A printed Exercise Manual with instructions for eight programming exercises and one large SCUBA Dive Computer capstone project plus additional project ideas,
- A 1GB USB thumb drive containing:
- Source code starting points for the exercises,
- Source code solutions for all exercises,
- An electronic copy of the book Programming Embedded Systems with C and GNU Development Tools by Michael Barr and Anthony Massa,
- An electronic copy of the book Embedded C Coding Standard by Michael Barr,
- An electronic copy of the book Embedded Systems Dictionary by Jack Ganssle and Michael Barr,
- An electronic copy of the book MicroC/OS-III: The Real-Time Kernel, Renesas RX62N Edition by Jean Labrosse,
- Datasheets and User's Manuals for all of the hardware and tools,
- Dozens of articles for in-depth "further reading" on advanced topics, and
- A backup electronic copy of the Embedded Software Field Manual.
- A CD-ROM containing additional compilers (GNU and Renesas HEW) and example software for the board, plus
- The 2-hour DVD video lecture "How to Prioritize RTOS Tasks (and Why it Matters)" by Michael Barr.
What You'll Learn
As you follow this training program, you will learn:
- How to write portable device drivers and interrupt handlers in C,
- How to decide if an RTOS will benefit your application,
- How to architect software to ensure all deadlines are met (with or without an RTOS),
- More than 50 practical tips for reducing firmware bugs, and
- How to find, fix, and prevent each of the top 10 firmware bugs.
Full outlines and other details for each of the three courses on which this Embedded Software Training in a Box is based are available via these links:
Typical buyers have from 0 to 15 years of embedded software experience and an electrical engineering, computer science, computer engineering or similar degree. Some have been working in firmware-related areas but are trying to make the switch into full-time embedded software development; others want to deepen their knowledge and strengthen their skills in their chosen career. These well-tested training materials and exercises provide easy-to-follow explanations of key topics even as they dive deep to show the most current and advanced best practices. As a whole the contents are accessible and educational to all levels, as you are able to dive as deep as you want in parts and skim along the surface of the rest.
How to Buy
The price of our Embedded Software Training in a Box represents a substantial savings over the cost of an in-person Embedded Software Boot Camp. If, within 60 days of ordering your kit, you change your mind and register for a public Embedded Software Boot Camp we'll refund the full price of your kit. But you must bring the full contents of the kit with you to the in-person event.
To purchase with a credit card, simply click on the "Buy Now" button under the circuit board photo above. We can ship anywhere in the world within 10 business days.*
* We ship internationally by U.S. Priority Mail, which aims to reach anywhere in the world within 7 days. However, we can't control customs delays going into your country, which may increase your specific shipping times.